Monday, December 29, 2008

Cyborg II

Well the first day of radiation and chemo went quite smoothly. They put me in an alignment machine first to insert the plates and check that the radiation beams would hit the right spot. Well I really do feel like a cyborg. The mask they put on is really tight and all that sticks out is your nose (something like Hannibal) You get rotated around the room with red alignment beams. Because you can't see you have no idea where you are in the room. Thank goodness I am not claustrophobic.

The actual radiation is fast - about 10 minutes start to finish. I have 3 main beams that come from different angles into the left side my head. The radiated area is about 10cm x 10cm (This is LARGE) They took the size of my tumour before the surgery and have built a margin on that. It is a cut out area so its an odd shape.

I was told again that I will loose my hair in that area. (I really don't want to hear that) So I am going to have a big 10cm "hole" where there was once hair. NOOOO.... What is it with brains, chemo, radiation and hair?? Then they added that there is a very small risk of your hair never growing back. (I ignored that) Any ideas on how to manage that? If men can have a comb over, why can't I? James suggested that I just shave everything. Then I will have to shave the other half of my head everyday... Maybe I can just use that spray on hair...


The ladies complained that my hair has grown so much since I had the mask fitted (6 weeks ago) that they had to adjust it because my 3cm hair was pushing it out. Thank goodness I didn't put hair extensions in!!





PS James is a budding photographer and has not learnt the art of how to take a photo without making your arm look huge or your toes skew. Of course these things are usually perfect.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Sooooo glad everything went smoothly and I just love that you still have your great sense of humor. Dee, you are such an inspiration to me and I am sure to many others. Thank you.

Lots of love,
Bar

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee you are looking really good and if your prayers can change the weather, well then... this is the rough sea before the smooth sailing. We are trusting for complete recovery.
Lots of love
Mom

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP