Tuesday, December 16, 2008

DNA

We took a walk to the Alexandria library today. (crossing roads and trying not to be run over- we looked like we were playing Mario brothers game) It is impressive. The architecture is interesting, it is shaped like a tilted disk and represents the sun rising out of the sea. We were there for a few hours and didn't even get past one area.

We looked up some books on DNA, brain tumours and various brain issues. I have been doing alot of research. I have found some fascinating facts.
  • The oligoastrocytoma and oligodendroglioma has a potential to have defection on the 1 & 19 th chromosomes.
  • There is alot of research on the 19 chromosome. There are about 1400 genes relating to various disorders/ functions view on website: https://www.llnl.gov/str/June03/Stubbs.html
  • One of the disorders is called Familial hemiplgic migraine. This type of migraine displays all the types of symptoms I have. Plus I have a few members of my family (especially my Grandfather) who get serious migraines like this (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Familial_hemiplegic_migraine)
  • It also links this type of migraine to chromosome 1
  • There is also a link with lack of vitamin b12
I don't know if this has any significance and I haven't had a DNA test yet (my oncologist told me they only do that type of thing in the US) but it is interesting how things are linked. I believe that all these things are linked somehow.

Maybe my interest is because I had a seriously bad headache on my left side, I had to come back to the room and slept for 2 hours. When I woke up, my whole body was in pain.

Otherwise, looking out at the Mediterranean is awesome...

No comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP