Monday, February 16, 2009

It is finished

I got called in on Friday evening because the machine was working. So I had my final radiation on Saturday. What an emotional time for me. I was so happy it was all over. As I was leaving, the radiologist gave me a hug and wished me well, this gesture caused the flood gates in my eyes to open. I hadn't cried once through all of this and now that it was all over, the relief was too much. I really wanted to thank them a bit more but my throat was so choked up that if I had said more than "thank you" I would have started howling too.

I felt a bit bad that the other patients waiting to go in saw this. They had no idea that it was my last one session or why I was crying. They might have thought something went wrong the way their eyes were beaming at me. Or perhaps they thought that tears squirting out of the side of my face is a side effect? When I got to the car, James & the kids were a bit distraught thinking I was hurt. I mumbled that I was just happy and this left them even more confused. Luckily I was in the car with boys so no more questions were asked!

I was asked to keep the mask for 5 years in case they need to refer back to it. I haven't looked at it yet, I just put it into the cupboard.

As I was lying there for the last time, I just prayed to God that this had worked. Thanked Him for keeping me safe and that I would never have to do this again. I just prayed that I could be my old self again, get my life back and not have this affect me anymore.

Well I started painting again on Saturday for the first time since November.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC FANTASTIC FANTASTIC how amazing - I am so thrilled - no wonder you cried, I am having a little 'weepy moment' myself.
Lots of love D

Anonymous said...

Me too, D and Dee. Dee this is such a milestone. As you gathered, Adam and I wanted to say we knew it was a big moment.
Connecting with God in such a deep moment of gratitude and prayer, is something nothing can compare with.
Love you lots, precious person.
Mom

Barb said...

Dee:

You have to feel like a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders. I pray that this is the beginning of a whole new chapter for you, one filled with good health, happiness and dreams fulfilled.

Love you,
Bar

Shannon said...

Hi Deirdre,
Although I haven't been posting, I've been praying and following your blog daily. I am so happy for you that you are now done with the radiation. I will continue to pray for complete healing and lots of energy and renewed strength. Thank you for continuing to update on this blog. It has been an honor to be able to share this journey with you. You are a true inspiration to all of us.
Lots of love,
Shannon

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP