Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Philosophy of money vs wellness

Today was quite an interesting one to say the least.  I feel like I have made a break through in my masters on "Corporate Philosophy" because to me "Wellness" is directly proportional to the environment we are living and working in. I have had a few interesting meetings and have realised that a large problem in our society is that we don't have a tangible grip on reality. Let me elaborate...

Back in hunter and gatherer days, humankind would have to search for food and perhaps plant foods to sustain their needs.  They had to work with nature (and each other) to obtain their basic needs. This tangible link must of created a sense of reverence and connection with nature and others because if they did not maintain their environment they would no longer be able to eat off it. Then came money, so now people were working for money and couldn't "see" the fruits of their labour. Work became about selfish attainment of money. There was no more connection with the source of our sustenance, as money was the invisible thing everyone aimed for. We still have basic needs like food and shelter but the difference is that we have no connection to the source of this commodity. We also then buy things that have no reference to reality and are purely selfish.

So between the two large companies I had dealings with I have realised that the "powers that be" are as invisible and unattainable as the money they supposedly have. I was told by a major pharmaceutical company today, that they don't have any money for the BTFSA and can't support the foundation due to "budgetary constraints" but they did credit me with the efforts I am making in the community. I may believe this if I was asking for a fortune but when I am only asking them to support 10% of what my PERSONAL drug costs came to, I struggle to believe in the integrity of the statement.

So I beg to understand what our corporates are aiming to achieve. (Assuming it isn't profits) I am SO grateful that there is a drug available for people like me BUT I want to understand if there is a responsibility of corporates to the source of their sustenance. I believe that there is and I believe that each human needs to understand where the fruits of our labour come from. Our efforts should promote life in all forms and this includes customers, environment, nature and people working in the organisation. What is the purpose of killing everything in pursuit of profits? Ultimately, shouldn't we enjoy our work in the short life that we have been given? I believe it is possible to enjoy the work we do IF we step out of what we want and move into sustaining the world and people that support us. Perhaps then, life will have a bit more meaning and work would be fulfilling?

I suggest that our corporates start looking at their corporate philosophy because I can promise you that "wellness" in the individual is directly proportional to the environment that the individual lives and works in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - our health linked to our environment completely. Used to work for a drug company and the profits they made were TOTALLY OBSCENE especially on the cancer drugs ! D

Dutchcloggie said...

What a wonderful coincidence that I read about your interest in corporate social responsibility. My wife Jane died of an Astrocytoma last week before she had a chance to finish her PhD on that exact topic (info here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wimrc/about/people/daniel/). She was hoping ton help companies to become more socially responsible and her work will be taken up by another PhD student as it is of seminal importance to the university and, in my opinion, to society.

Hope you continue to be well and stable.

Deirdre Kohler said...

How interesting! I will have a look at it and I hope that perhaps we can communicate sometime. It would be nice to see if I can continue the passion your wife had!

Anonymous said...

You have entered a mine field of issues and possibilities with this topic, Deirdre! There is a need to link back to the individual in all of this and supporting them is my heart.
love
Wow

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP