Monday, September 19, 2011

My blog... an old girl

Do you know that I have been running a blog for 4 years! So, although it is not an old girl, but rather a toddler - I still feel like it has been going for a life time. When I first looked at getting my own blog, I was too scared to actually tell people I had a brain tumour. So I just put pictures of my travels on the internet. When I finally got the courage to "Get Real" and put up the site of my journey with a brain tumour - suddenly I got a response. Sure, many of it is from people with a general morbid fascination for death. But I think most of the readers get something out of it as much as I do. (Well at least I hope so!)

The reason why I actually put information of my brain tumour surgery etc was that I was tired of taking phone calls from people on my status of treatment. I was trying to run away from others and ended up actually being part of many people's journeys in a very small way. It has truly been a rewarding thing to do. I know I am starting to connect with other people in a more real way - even if much of it is over the internet or via the phone. It has given me a medium to feel free to reveal myself in a reasonably safe environment.

Many people have said to me that they want to write a book and don't know how to do it. I can't tell them how to write a book. My book is just the emails, writings and blog entries over four years. So my only advice to anyone who wants to write a book is to say just write something everyday no matter how short the paragraph might be. Even if it never becomes a book, it will be a valuable exercise.

1 comment:

Jim G-M said...

Congratulations on four years of blogging! I was reminded today that my brain surgery was two years ago. I went back and reread the posts from the beginning. I am so glad I blogged and so glad I found great blogs like yours. Congratulations.

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP