Saturday, March 3, 2012

I need help! Mind / Brain problem...

I am Johannesburg, all alone and feeling incredibly sorry for myself and perhaps a bit angry for becoming a work horse turning a wagon wheel and not spending time with this family this weekend. But I am grateful for getting some free time to pursue my studies and writing. So thats where I will keep my mind...

As some of you who have been following my blog may know that I have embarked on studying philosophy and at this point I am busy with my first honours essay. To say I am feeling insecure is a bit of an understatement. A more realistic word would be ignorant. Just doing philosophy can give you brain fry!

Anyway, as I know more about being a brain tumour patient than most other things, I have decided to do an essay entitled "The Mind / Brain Problem for Brain Tumour Patients" Basically what I am researching is are the mind and the brain the same for brain tumour patients or is the mind able to operate independently of the diseased brain?

So... do you think just the disease takes over the brain and therefore makes it impossible for the patient to express what is in their mind or do you think otherwise?

Obviously I have my own opinion but I would love to know what your thoughts are!!! Please comment...

d:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deirdre, how do you define "mind" ? Corzaire

Scott said...

Deirdre-

I believe that things are as they always were. I still have the same emotions, sense of humor, cynicism, empathy, etc. What is different for me is physical. From surgery and radiation. I have some short term memory loss, and my wife thinks there are some differences, but I'm 98% the guy I once was. Hope this helps, and that you are well.

workinthrough said...

Deidre, just found this blog. I am a brain cancer patient currently undergoing chemotherapy. I really think there is a lot to this question -like Scott I am still the same man and my 'mind' is not changed by cancer. But I must say the many challenges and questions one face at a time like this can make it seem as though 'I am a different person'. There is a lot going on for a cancer patient, with the constant reflections going on in ones mind, must be natural to be distant, etc at times. Question is what correlation does this have with the disease? Is this not unlike grieving the loss of a loved one?

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP